Denver, CO asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Colorado

Q: At fault with no insurance and left the scene of the accident. Almost 3 years later she is suing me for over $100,000.

The accident was not major but she is claiming injuries and lost wages. Her insurance company is also listed as a defendant. I am having a hard time finding a lawyer to help me. How do I answer this summons without admitting to such a huge settlement?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. When you say, "at fault with no insurance and left scene... ," it looks like that could be you?

If that's you (since you mention her listing her insurance company), try to arrange a consult with a Colorado attorney. If I am mistaken in my interpretation, and you DO have insurance, turn the matter over to your carrier.

I'm sorry that it's difficult to offer more detailed guidance than that - attorneys on public forums aren't going to be able to offer cookbook instructions on drafting a response to the summons and complaint. They're going to need to see the paperwork. So don't lose time on that.

It looks like she is going after her carrier for uninsured motorist benefits, and unfortunately, that means her carrier could try to recoup that from you ultimately. Consider making the investment of an attorney consult.

You describe having a hard time finding an attorney. If your own searches have run their course, you could look into the Colorado Bar, Denver Bar (your post is tagged "Denver"). Additionally, you could look into the tab above, Find-a-Lawyer, to search for Colorado attorneys by practice, county, and city. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.