Waxhaw, NC asked in Car Accidents for North Carolina

Q: What is the best way to protect my self against liability if my 18 year old child gets in a car accident?

My daughter is 18 and will be starting college this Fall. I will be paying for her car financing and she lives with us. How can I protect myself? Have her finance the car and I cosign? Register car in her name? Have her on her own insurance policy? Thanks in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A North Carolina attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. I hope your daughter never experiences an accident. But in terms of thinking ahead to reduce exposure, it looks like you've already identified two areas that people tend to look at in mitigating risk, registration and insurance. You could speak with insurance professionals and North Carolina attorneys who deal with asset protection for a higher-level analysis, based on your assets and other factors. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.