Bergenfield, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I did not give my landlord proper notice when I left.

My former lease says that I am required to give 2 months notice when I leave. I only gave him a week and a half. He now wants me to be responsible for paying rent on August and September. At the same time he has in the lease that if I stay past the lease he wants me to pay for holdover rent. Instead of the usual monthly rent of 1500, it would be 2300. He basically wants me to pay 2300 for August and September. My security deposit is 3600 which is a lot of money. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The circumstances described in this email are disturbing to me. Your base rent is $1500.00 but you mentioned that you posted $3600 in security. Under New Jersey law your security is limited to one and a half months rent or $2550 in your case. How did your landlord say that the month-to-month rent was $2300? I think your landlord as an abusive person.

The landlord by holding an illegal security deposit is subject to a series of penalties under New Jersey's rent security act. 7 percent interest on the money, attorney's fees and some other penalties. You need to push back and hard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.