League City, TX asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: Can you sell a vacant home in need of repair in Texas as-is cash by just signing the deed of trust over and take cash?

As-is sale basically going to be renovated and sold by the buyer( it is not a professional house flipper )

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Hold on!

Deed of Trust?!? That is an instrument no rookie should mess with. Do not think you know what you are doing with a Deed of Trust. You don't.

You better go see a lawyer.

Don't do it.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A Deed of Trust commemorates a security interest in a piece of real estate, typically a mortgage debt. The holder of the Deed of Trust does not own the home; it only owns a security interest in the home. It is unlikely that you are the party to whom the debt is owed.

You can transfer title to the home to somebody else with a quit claim deed or a warranty deed, subject to the debt secured by the Deed of Trust. You would likely want the buyer to also sign a Deed of Trust to Secure Assumption, which would require the buyer to pay the existing debt off while allowing you to foreclose and regain ownership of the home if the buyer doesn't. Until the debt is paid off, however, the original borrower (most likely you) is still personally obligated to the original creditor.

You would probably be able to complete this transaction using a title company, rather than hiring your own private attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.