Lexington, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: My husband is a citizen but my in laws lost all his documents before he turned 18 in the process their divorce.

My question is, how do I go about getting all his documents together if I have nothing to go off on? All I have is the picture he took when they took refuge in Thailand before coming to the States. A few years back, I went to the Immigration center in Milwaukee and they told us to go to the place that sponsored his family. The Catholic church that sponsored the family has gotten rid of old files from 1985 and earlier. So we weren't able to get anything together from there. Please help me and how I can go about getting all this together. It has been a long hard journey for us and finding employment for him.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: You can file a FOIA G-639 with USCIS to get a copy of his immigration file. There he would find a copy of all his immigration documents

Alexander Ivakhnenko agrees with this answer

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: Yes I agree with my colleague. You should file a FOIA request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.