Cambridge, MD asked in Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: My ex has sole custody of our daughter. I am on SSDI. The child support administration ordered me to pay 120.00 a month

Adding in 30.00 extra dollars for arrears. They also ordered me to contact Social Security to add her for auxiliary benefits. Between the 150 a month and half of my benefits comes to a total of 700.00 a month. At the hearing for child support, no financial statements were asked from either of us. Her father owns two restaurants and an apartment complex. I have no other income besides my SSDI. My 19 year old son lives with me in which I take care of him. I feel like 700.00 dollars a month for support is ridiculous for 1 child and he won't allow me to see her. Is there a limit to what a parent can receive in support? I'm struggling everyday to pay my bills and keep a roof over our heads. My question is, is the amount he is receiving fair or is there a limit to what a parent can receive when the other parent is on disability?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need a lawyer to review the situation. It is not possible to answer your question with a better picture of the financials. If you cannot afford a lawyer, contact Maryland Legal Aid, website here:

They have an office serving the lower Eastern Shore in Salisbury.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.