Rolla, MO asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Missouri

Q: My girlfriend was assaulted by another tenant at our apartment building. What legal action can we take?

The lady that assaulted her was arrested. I more want to know what legal action we can take against our landlord if he doesn't evict her.

2 Lawyer Answers
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your girlfriend can make a police report. She can also contact property management. And if your girlfriend has the financial means to hire and attorney and if she suffered significant injury (I hope not) and if the assualter has money, your girlfriend could hire an attorney to file a lawsuit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black

A: If the tenant that assaulted your girlfriend had a history of violence, then you may possibly have a case against the apartment complex for failure to do a proper background check. You should retain counsel on contingency fee in California for representation and to investigate the tenants background.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.