Saint Paul, MN asked in Real Estate Law for Minnesota

Q: I legally changed my last name to a previous name. Must the property records be changed before I sell? Quitclaim ok?

The property is in my name only. Can't I leave the records alone if I plan to sell and then just have the court order proof when it's time to sell?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You are not able to convey a deed to yourself. The new deed needs a derivation of title clause to the former name, then the acknowledgement contains your sworn statement you are the same person as both the old and new names. You could also put style of the name change case or divorce and docket number in the derivation clauses. Inform your lawyer or the title company of all the specifics on your name beforehand. An affidavit might also be required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.