Simpsonville, SC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: How to ask judge to make defendant fill out "financial verification (SCCA 430)" form and let me have the info?

In the case the defendants will have to pay us child support but the court is going to use a statum of minimum wage as a basis. I know that they have a higher income, so would like the judge to make them fill out a financial verification form so that I could use the information as part of the increase child support complaint that I will file after the placement hearing is completed. Is it possible to file for the motion for information request during the hearing? How would I go about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: It sounds like you may have placement of a child as part of an action brought by the Department of Social Services.

SCRFC Rule 20 requires a financial declaration to be completed in any action in which the financial condition of a party is relevant. If you are a party to the case, you can file a motion to require the defendants to complete the financial declaration form; if you are not a party to the case, then you do not have the ability to file a motion, and you will have to rely on DSS to investigate the defendants' incomes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.