Lawrenceville, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: How can I make my apt complex pay for my shattered windshield? Their employee dropped a bag of trash on it.

Employee dropped a bag of bath tiles onto my car. Apt complex filed a claim w their insurance company, who have agreed to pay, yet can't tell me when they will pay. ??? What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It sounds like your issue is more with your apartment complex's insurance company than the apartment complex itself. Here are your options:

1) You could file a law suit against the apartment complex and the employee who caused the damage. That would certainly move your claim along as the insurance company would be forced to defend its insureds. However, litigation is costly and slow. I am not confident you would receive payment any more promptly and there is the downside of having to pay the litigation expenses.

2) Another option is to contact the insurance company repeatedly, going to the adjuster's manager if necessary.

Oftentimes I find in my practice that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease."

3) Finally, you could file a complaint against the insurer with the Office of Commissioner of Insurance and Safety Fire - Consumer Services Division. That website may be accessed here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.