Margate, FL asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: I am very soon getting joint custody of my son. I have an opportunity to get specialized training in the states

That will give me a lucrative occupation and more income. It will take a year or so. Can I keep joint custody and have him spend time there with me in the states while IIm getting my degree?Unfortunately will change the agreement on the days and time I keep him as we are proposing. Time is an essence for this opportunity.I plan to increase child support to help while I’m gone and put my things in storage until I’m back. I love Puerto Rico and have lived here 10 years.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

You will have to notify the court of any changes and circumstances that may alter the agreements so it won't cause any conflict that may affect or reverse any progress on the custody agreements achieved in court.

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: I'm assuming that your endeavor to procure joint custody is through the Puerto Rico Courts. If so, I advise that you openly let the courts know of your plans to obtain specialized training in the states. I agree that it may impact your schedule for spending time with your child, in the short term. Depending on your son's age, you may request through the courts that your son spend time with you during specific times of the year (i.e., summer, Thanksgiving, etc.) or reach some form of compromise with your son's other parent. What you should not do is hide this trip from the courts; as it'll affect on your credibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.