Kalamazoo, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: I became disabled in 2013, due to car accident, braking my back. I now have 2bars and 4 bolts in my spine. I contacted

Foc, and sent in all dr.s paperwork they asked for. And did so whenever they asked. 2018, i found out i had 4 tumors and 3 different types of cancer. Well covid hit, so my treatments didnt start until 2019, 7 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy, i almost parished. I sent all paperwork to the foc, doing everything they have asked of me, since 2013. My disability finally started this year. Ssi. In may i have a allegan county cop come to my home in Kalamazoo and arrest me for child support, i spend 63 days in jail, bond out for 1000, and have to plead guilty to failure to pay, and now my attorney tells me i will be going back to jail to do 11 months! After i have done everything they have asked of me since2013, how can they do this to me? If i could work i would pay. Not my fault i was in car accident, i was a passenger, and then got deathly sick, and still trying to recover, still have chemo port in my chest. And in 2015, i made a contract with the mom, gave 1500 with 8500 to pay drop ba

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I'm unsure what your question is. It sounds like you entered a guilty plea. Typically, agreements made in failure to pay cases depend on how much of the arrearage is paid before sentencing. What matters now is not so much what you've done since 2013, or even what you've worked out with the mom; what matters is whether you have substantially complied with the plea agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.