Asked in Military Law

Q: If I am a former prisoner at a military correctional facility am I allowed to contact other former inmates?

I just want to make sure they are safe and got to where they needed to be. I want to help the guys who werent as lucky as me to have a good support system. I am not on parole, I am not released on any conditions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
LTC (Ret) Sean F. Mangan
LTC (Ret) Sean F. Mangan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Silverdale, WA

A: It depends on the conditions of your release. For service members who served a longer sentence (those over 10 years and usually those over 20) there is the possibility of early release through a parole system. When released, those individuals may carry similar conditions on release that limit who they have contact with. If you served your sentence fully and was released, then normally there is no prohibition on who you contact with. (However, there may be other orders/authorities from the military or other jurisdictions, depending on your case, that could impact you.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.