Charlotte, NC asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for North Carolina

Q: What kind of lawyer can help if a contractor attempts to sue me to get additional payment for work not requested?

A contractor charged an additional $8000 to replace his mistake. I believe such a miscommunication is not my fault, but would be willing to agree to a compromise at 1/2, but not pay the entirety since he did such a poor job with replacement. Its going to cost me an additional $8k to fix his poor work

If the contractor attempted to sue me to get the other 1/2. What kind of lawyer can help?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You need an experienced civil litigation and construction attorney. Some debt collection defense attorneys have experience defending these kind of lawsuits. If the contractor placed a lien on your property and is seeking to enforce that lien and sell your property, you need someone familiar with North Carolina General Statute Section 44A. Even if the lawsuit is filed in small claims you need an attorney ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.