Lake Villa, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: I am 16 with parents who are seperated and I want to move to another state with my dad.

My parents are seperated and for reasons I shall not discuss I would rather live with my dad. I dont know what needs to be done in order to move to a different state with him and have no idea how to find out due to my mom having an app on my phone that makes it so she can see everything on it. What should I do and who can I contact or what do I need to know?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You'll have to talk to your father and encourage him to begin court proceedings to change parenting time (formerly known as custody) and for him to petition the court to allow you to leave the state with him. I know of no way for you to begin these proceedings on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.