Maple Shade Township, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: i paid my deposit beginning of march and it wasn’t deposited til july. what can i do to go about that?

the mail from the bank said thank you for opening a checking account and didn’t provide any further info. his email said the states qualified interest rate, our amount paid, the lotion and the date but nothing further. i was told it should’ve been 30 days in a interest bearing-don’t think it is

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The landlord does have 30 days to deposit your security deposit into a separate interest-bearing account. If you want to check on when he deposited the money, you are telling me that you got notice that there is a checking account in your name and they sent you checks. I'd call the bank. Tell them that you received checks in the mail and you don't recall setting up an account. I am kind of confused why your landlord would set up a checking account and they would send checks to you. Theoretically to go down to the bank write yourself a check and clear out the account.

If the landlord does not comply with the terms of the Rent Security Act (RSA) you have several different options. 1 of which is to tell the landlord to apply your security deposit to the rent. That must be done in writing. Verify exactly what is going on with the bank, it could be they messed up, and if there are RSA issues send the notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.