Kalamazoo, MI asked in Child Support, Social Security and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: The amount of rerages owed is 64,000 and the judge is not being in my favor at all. What can i do? Please ?

Is there anything I can do or submit in advance, the court appointed lawyer i have does not submit or express my case in my favor, or my request.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The judge's job is not to be in your favor. The only person "in your favor" is your attorney, and he or she must adhere to court rules, case law, statutes, ethics, and rules of evidence while being in your favor. If you have plead and are awaiting sentencing, then now is the time to arrange your affairs for a possible jail or prison sentence, and help your attorney submit mitigating information about you. Mitigating information can include an explanation of how this happened, but mitigation is not defensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.