Grand Rapids, MI asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Indiana

Q: I backed up into my neighbors car while intoxicated and left the scene. What changes should I expect?

I saw her later that day and gave her my insurance information and told her I was intoxicated, she told the officer that I was intoxicated. When I when to the police station the next day to give my statement I told him I was intoxicated when I backed into her car, panicked and left the scene.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Unless the police have more than your admission of being intoxicated, I do not see how you could be prosecuted for an OWI. However, you will very likely be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. From this point forward, you should not speak to your neighbor about the situation, nor the police. Contact a criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where the incident occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.