Mansfield, OH asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: What is my next step after getting a continuation for an ex parte hearing on temp. Custody?

My ex husband filed for an ex parte hearing for temporary custody of our daughters. I received the paperwork 2 days before the hearing. I filed a motion for a continuation the day before the hearing but was told that the magistrate wanted me to verbally ask for the continuation. At the hearing the 1st thing I said was that I was asking for a continuation so that I could obtain representation. The magistrate granted the continuation and then she asked my ex husbands attorney if he had anything to say and he requested that both of us be drug tested. She asked me how I felt about it and I said that I didn't want to agree to anything without having representation. Somehow we still had to take the drug tests before leaving the court house. Was that allowed, after the continuation was granted then allowing drug tests?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes magistrate's have broad power to make orders to serve the best interests of the minor children of the case. The court will generally allow drug testing of parents if one parent offers to pay the cost or is alleging drug abuse and an emergency. It is highly advised that a parent involved in a custody dispute seek a local attorney who can help them navigate the motions and allegations which are being claimed by the other party. Especially if that parent may have an issue with a positive drug test.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.