Houston, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Estate Planning for Texas

Q: Can I file a quit claim deed on my fathers home without harm to his VA mortgage on benefits?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The answer you seek would require me or any other attorney to review all of your dad's estate planning documentys and assets. Plus, the latest deed and lien on the subject property. Why are you giving a deed?

Do you own the property with your dad?

I can guide you, but do not execute or file any deed unless you have it reviewed by a professional. Especially if it has been made part of an Estate Plan. Texas has a five-year "lookback" period on all asset distributions. There are also many other considerations that may be involved, and any significant move or transfer, may "blow up" the well-planned estate plan.

Be Patient, If you need more infor or a through review, contact me or another lawyer on Justia.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.