Monticello, KY asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Kentucky

Q: How does an inmate obtain: 1. a court appointed lawyer (no Income) 2. Arrest report, evidence, etc

A friend was arrested last week, is still in custody. Court set for Tuesday, (8/30/2022). She was charged w/traffic violations that she's guilty of, and won't dispute. The other charges are:

1. tampering with physical evidence

2. possession of meth (1st offense)

That's where I'm hearing discrepancies between what the officers, the inmate, and the passenger said took place at time of arrest. Personally I'm inclined to believe the officers, but that's irrelevant. She needs a lawyer who will guide her in the right direction. A lawyer should also be able to access the arrest report and find out what evidence is going to be used to prove guilt. The stories are conflicting enough that knowing that information is crucial. Can a person request that information in order to prepare for their own court date w/out an attorney? If the inmate isn't lying, it poses a bigger problem, and the criminal charges will be disputed emphatically. I can provide any info pertaining to this case if needed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: She can ask for court appointed counsel at her first appearance or arraignment. Then her lawyer can ask for the discovery (evidence) after being appointed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.