Corryton, TN asked in Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Can Dcs legally make u separate from ur husband and threaten to take your kids away if you don't file a ppo on ur husban

D? How can I get my husband back in my house and not loose my kids to CPS custody either??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It *sounds* like this is in the early stages of CPS involvement, in which case the Department of Children's Services merely needs to show there is "probable cause" to prevent your husband from having contact with your children, in the interest of keeping your children safe.

It also sounds like a no contact order might have been issued by a court preventing your husband from having contact, in which case, for now . . . it might be best to choose your children over your husband.

Caveat, these are just my gut reaction thoughts based on what little information was provided.

You NEEEEED to consult with an attorney experienced with dependency and neglect proceedings. I'd recommend you contact the Juvenile Court of Obion County and ask for a list of attorneys who take appointments on D&N cases (hopefully you'll get at least a short list). Start there, and let them help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.