San Diego, CA asked in Bankruptcy and Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: My brother sold his restaurant owes me half of the money hes claiming to want to file bankruptcy to avoid paying me ?

He has a clerk job he makes about $1400 clear a month after taxes He has also defaulted in a civil lawsuit

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nick Curtis Thompson
Nick Curtis Thompson
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Your brother seems to qualify for filing bankruptcy. He makes very little income. There may be a problem for him in that if he sold the restaurant, there should be maybe money left over or money to be accounted for. There is also a requirement to keep records. He could make a gross income of about 50,000 a year and qualify, so his income is far below that. You don't explain whether you owned part of the restaurant or whether you simply loaned him the money. But either way, it looks like he can probably file bankruptcy to avoid paying you. However, some people will threaten to file bankruptcy but won't do it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.