Thibodaux, LA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Louisiana

Q: What is probable cause to pull over a motorist

I was pulled over by an unmarked vehicle with four men not in uniform. They did not identify themselves. I exited my vehicle to see what they needed. They immediately pushed me on the hood of the vehicle and placed me in handcuffs. They searched me extensively without a warrant and without my permission. They then took m two passengers out of the car. The front passenger pulled away and ran. They watched him run and laughed about how slow he was running. They searched my vehicle without a warrant and without asking for permission. They said they found a gun under the passenger seat. I don't own a gun. When I asked each of the men why they pulled me over they all stated a different minor traffic violation. The car is registered to my girl friend. I was

offered 30 years as a plea.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you have been offered a plea bargain of 30 years based on your post, then something (perhaps a lot) is missing. That said, just on the amount of time you are offered, you need to immediately hire a criminal defense attorney to make sure your rights are protected and that you are aware of your options in this matter. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.