Asked in Libel & Slander and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Is there anything I can do about my landlords making slander remarks to potential renters about me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, if your landlord made a statement about you that is false, and made that statement to a third-party, that injured your reputation, then you can file a lawsuit against the landlord for defamation of character. You would need to establish that the statement was heard and the witness that heard it will testify in your favor, and you would also need to show that the statement was false. You would also need to prove how you were damaged, unless the statement that he made about you accused you of being or committing a crime, accused you of having a disease, accused you of being dishonest in business, or accused you of having a loathsome disease. You should discuss the facts of your case with counsel here in the state of Florida. Please excuse any typos, as this message was dictated into a microphone device. Thank you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.