Columbus, OH asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: My adult granddaughter has a court date for Sept. 9th to finalize her dissolution of marriage, in Greene County Ohio.

The court says if he does not show on court day, they cannot do anything. The husband just informed my granddaughter that he is moving to Kentucky. He says he will be there for court, but we know better. What can she do to get this uncontested, all signed, in agreement, dissolution done on court day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In order for a Dissolution in Ohio to be finalized both parties must sign all documents and appear to give their consent to the Dissolution at the Dissolution hearing. Some counties allow Zoom, Whatsapp or Bluejeans video attendance if one party cannot appear in person. Parties should contact the court to get permission well in advance of the hearing for video attendance. If one party does not appear or there are outstanding problems with their agreements the court cannot conduct a final hearing and will set the case for trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.