Staten Island, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: Judge ordered home sold immediately,wife refuses

House could have been sold already now I’m behind on mortgage because of her

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jack Mevorach
Jack Mevorach
  • Cedarhurst, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If so ordered, you can force the sale of the house. Have a free telephone consultation with counsel.


Derrick  Storms
Derrick Storms pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Astoria, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should immediately inform the court that your spouse is not complying with the court order. The judge may request a conference to find out what's going on. You can also file an Order to Show Cause to request immediate action from the court, such as precluding a spouse from interfering with the sale. If your spouse continues to violate court orders you can file a motion for contempt of court and for sanctions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.