Navarre, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: My husband recently abandoned me and our daughter and took our son 1200 miles away and left us with nothing.

How do I apply for spousal maintenance until I am able to afford the bills he left me with him bring sole provider in our household

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can either file for divorce (recommended) or file a petition for support unconnected with divorce. The divorce would handle all the issues pertaining to your marriage including the custody of the children, division of assets and debts, as well as both alimony and child support. The petition for support unconnected with divorce will only handle support and nothing else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.