Lutcher, LA asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Louisiana

Q: Can I sue a company for slander/deformation of character, emotional distress and racial profiling?

I went into this store and was not even in the store for 5 minutes a sales associate called security. He told security that I was in there stealing and was banned from the store. Security approached and told me what was going and said I had to leave I told him I did not know what he was talking about. We went to the front of the store where the sales associate was at. I pulled my mask down and let him see my face and the security guard told him that I did not know what he was talking about. He then proceeded to look at me and say “I did not have my glasses on” and that it all.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Louisiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. Although you were treated badly in the store, from a legal standpoint, it does not sound like a case that a law firm would consider handling on a contingency basis. And if there were no tangible damages, it doesn't sound like something you'd want to be paying a firm on an hourly basis to pursue. That's only my individual opinion. You could reach out to local attorneys to ask them what they think of the matter. Consider staying away from that store. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.