Irving, TX asked in Small Claims for Texas

Q: I am appealing a small claims case I lost as the plaintiff to county civil court in kaufman TX.

How do I make an adjustment to what I am suing for in county court. I need it to be slightly different then what I wrote on the petition and said in small claims court. For example I put, I was suing for DTPA. I am now wanting to sue for DTPA and or in replace of the price of the car. How do I go about changing what I am suing for or is it as simple as stating this when I am in county court during the actual appointment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should ask your attorney to amend your petition.

Small claims court is a very different forum than county court. In county court, you will not have a simple "appointment," you will have a trial. You will be required to follow the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure in developing your case and preparing for trial. You will be required to follow the Texas Rules of Evidence is presenting your witnesses, documents, and tangible evidence.

Because you asked this very basic question, I can already tell that you need to hire an attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.