Lone Tree, CO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Colorado

Q: What requirements apply in CO to notify/escrow money to a benef/sib who has left the state/country, & is out of touch?

I am executor of my mom's will/trust. One of two siblings has left the state and possibly the country, and there is no communication on his part, despite our family's efforts. What must I do to satisfy Colorado's requirements to notify him and escrow inheritance? How long must I wait to hear from him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: As a general rule in Colorado, C.R.S. § 15-12-705 sets the expectations for notifying a beneficiary or likely heir to an estate. The code states, in part, "the information shall be delivered or sent by ordinary mail to each of the heirs and devisees whose address is reasonably available to the personal representative. The duty does not extend to require information to persons who have been adjudicated in a prior formal testacy proceeding to have no interest in the estate."

The general implication of this code section is that a serious but reasonable effort must be made to find a working address for each person deserving notice. The legislative footnotes go farther and state the personal representative should "give notice to persons who appear to be disinherited."

The rights of a person who does not respond to a serious but reasonable effort to send notice still exist for three years under C.R.S. § 15-12-108, and may exist longer in some situations.

A Colorado probate attorney can help. A special decision from the courts may be needed in some situations like yours. This is not advice specific to your situation, but a general reply based on your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.