Wayne, NJ asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Bankruptcy for New Jersey

Q: I’m from NJ and am being taken to court for an old debt for rent. I was young at the time and unaware of what a co-signe

I was unaware what a co-signer was. I responded but the original signer did not. Would the court be able to put the full responsibility of the debt on me. I was just diagnosed with cancer and have no income while he does. Debt is from passaic county and I live in Passaic county. Court is in Morris (where main person lives) They asked the court to grant judgment against me. Will he not be held accountable? Thank you in advance

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: As a cosigner, you are fully responsible for the debt. Age or state of health is no defense. If a judgment is entered against you, it is a valid lien for 20 years. You may be able to have the debt discharged by filing in bankruptcy. Speak to an attorney with bankruptcy experience,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.