Ecorse, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: How can I collect child support from someone who gets paid "under the table" (cash)?

I have full custody of my son and have been raising him on my own for the last 9 years. His father owes over $19,000 in child support because he refuses to pay it. He works for a company named Rim and makes decent money but he gets paid cash under the table so that they can't garnish it. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The fact that he is behind $19,000 suggests there is a child support order out there. Eventually, the friend of the court will take enforcement action, which could include referring the matter to the attorney general's office for criminal charges of non-support.

If you aren't already, you should contact your friend of the court office.

I imagine that if facing criminal charges, he would find a way to bring that money from under the table to the top.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.