Buffalo, NY asked in Child Custody and Divorce for New York

Q: My 15 years old daughter is manipulated by her uncle. I am trying to get custody. How will I keep uncle away?

I filed divorce. My wife is using her brother to detach my children from me. I can prove that.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sandra M. Colatosti
Sandra M. Colatosti
  • Licensed in New York

A: Custody can be determined in your divorce proceeding either by agreement or by trial. If you and your wife are unable to agree to a custody that you like, you would benefit from retaining an attorney if you hav not done so already.

Derrick  Storms
Derrick Storms PRO label
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Astoria, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Interfering with the parent-child relationship is known as "alienation." Courts take alienation very seriously because it is harmful to both children and the alienated parent. Some examples of alienation are: instructing the child to say harmful things to a parent, interfering/monitoring phone calls, and bad mouthing the other parent. You will need evidence to prove that your ex-spouse is engaged in alienation. An insulting text messages that you receive from your ex-spouse could be used as evidence. In addition, in New York your child will likely be appointed an attorney. If your child informs his/her attorney about the alienation and request that the court know about it, this will carry substantial weight in court. Courts often give an offending spouse a stern warning the first time. If alienation continues, the court can cancel visitation, changes custody arrangements, and take further actions to deal with the situation. You will often need a strong attorney to deal with a spouse who does not follow the rules.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.