Chicago, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: My doorman/management has misplaced my spare key. I don’t feel safe. Can I force my landlord to replace the locks?

am a tenant in Jersey city. My apartments spare key is kept with the doorman. I got locked out today and requested the spare key. The doorman showed me that the key was missing from the spare key cabinet. The super let me in but I believe the landlord may have taken the key. I don’t feel safe anymore. The landlord has entered the apartment on one previous occasion without my permission and when I expressly told them not to enter.

Is there any help I can get from nj law’s wrt to getting the landlord to change the locks or get it changed and deduct the cost from the next months rent?

The landlord has discriminated against me and my husband by refusing to renew the lease for me and has refused to add my husband to the lease because we both have emotional support animals

we have applied out security deposit plus 7 % interest as rent for September and October because the landlord never provided us details of our security deposit. It has been more than ayear

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It is a violation both of civil law and criminal law in New Jersey to lock you out of your apartment. What I would suggest you do is to change the locks on the door and leave a copy of the key with the doorman, get a signed receipt. In that way the landlord can't accuse you of changing the locks to deny him access. I think you are probably going to be sued for eviction on the basis of nonpayment, given the letter that you have sent him to apply her security deposit to the rent under the rent security act.

The landlord can't evict you for having a service animal in your apartment. I would make sure that the documentation you have for the animal is 1) up to date and 2) documents your need to have the service animal. While landlords can limit the presence of pets in an apartment, they are prohibited from banning service animals.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.