New Port Richey, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: My wife and I are getting divorced. My truck is in her name and her vehicle is in mine. Can I take mine back?

This is in Florida. Both vehicles are solely in the other spouses name. I am trying to take the one in my name and give her the one in her name until we get divorced and can figure it out in court. She is objecting but the divorce has not been filed yet. Both vehicles are being financed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You do not mention if the other party is objecting. Generally when a divorce is file the expectation is that both parties will maintain the status quo, financial and otherwise. You should continue to use the vehicle that you have traditionally used. If that requires a change then you must either reach an agreement with the other party or have the court decide. The titles can be sorted out at the end of the case. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.