Lincoln City, OR asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Oregon

Q: I own an automobile I wish to donate to a recognized charity. It is garaged in OR, but was moved over 20 years ago ...

... from the last state in which it was registered and has not been registered since. Would there be ramifications to me or the charity about no current registration?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Oregon attorney (or an attorney in the last state in which the car was registered) could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In terms of the charity-related issues, it could depend on the organization. Some want a complete folder of paperwork including title, registration, and other records. Some are more accommodating when it comes to salvage cars. You may get better state-specific guidance from applicable departments of motor vehicles or traffic ticket attorneys who have insight into motor vehicle administrative issues. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.