St Louis, MO asked in Contracts, Family Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Missouri

Q: Does he have any rights to my house? Should I file a lien and how much does that cost?

My house was getting foreclosed on. My dad and brother came together and got me enough money to not lose it. I am in the process now of getting my ex to sign the deed papers to get his name of it so I can make sure he is not entitled to anything nor has any say so. My kids father has not lived there in almost 10 years, has not paid any bills on said house and is about $100,000 in back child support. He is giving me a hard time with the papers and won’t sign them unless I sign a paper he wrote up in 5 minutes that basically says he is giving me $150,000 which is his half of the house (which I don’t know where he gets that number from) and that it is not a gift but as a loan and it will be paid back to him in a timely manner. I need to figure out

1.) Is there a certain amount of time I have before I have to file the deed of my house with the county?

2.) Is he entitled to anything from said house?

3.) Should I file a lien to protect my family and their money and how much?

Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There are a lot of moving parts here and a lot at stake. Respectfully, with all the people and assets involved this is not an issue that can be resolved in an online forum. I strongly advise you to seek the advice of an attorney to sort it all out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.