Muskegon, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: If my aunt has guardianship of my daughter, is she allowed to let her live with us(her parents)?

My daughter's father and I lost custody in 2019. (It's a long story) We fought to get her back for 2 yrs. And then had to give my aunt guardianship so they wouldn't take our rights. She had cancer so she had to go thru chemo and radiation and a few months later, they told her she was cancer-free. But it was really hard on her body and she's still really sick from the radiation. We've had our daughter 100% a couple weeks after she got guardianship of her and have taken care of her 100% no help from anyone since that day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It's an uphill battle, but it can be done where the guardianship is terminated. Were your rights terminated - either voluntary or involuntary after a trial? That will determine whether it's a matter of terminating the guardianship or you becoming guardian of your own child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.