Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for California

Q: I was charged with Arson last year and made to register and take a strike with jail time. Is there a way to appeal this

I was suicidal when I set the fire and drinking. The cops did not report this when they charged me and my public defender didn't help me purse mental health court when I expressed that I suffered from mental health issues. I pled guilty not knowing about the option of mental health court and I was given a year (2 for 1) in county jail and made to register and take a strike. Not to mention I had never been in trouble with the law before. I am wondering can I have this case reopened and re examined with the facts of my mental health and the fact that my Friend told the 911 operator more than once I was suicidal

1 Lawyer Answer
James R. Dickinson
James R. Dickinson
  • San Bernardino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More information is needed, such as when you pled guilty and the facts and circumstances surrounding your guilty plea. Say nothing more here, but speak with an attorney in your area. [I litigate cases. Anything posted here must not be construed as legal advice, nor as grounds for forming an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for formal legal advice and representation.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.