Benton Harbor, MI asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Moving to another state to file divorce?

I am currently in a terrible marriage and would like to get divorced (living in MI) but i have no where to go or any financial support other than my family who lives in UT, my plan is to move to UT with my child and file for divorce, is there a certain way i should start this process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle J. Bristow
Kyle J. Bristow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mt. Clemens, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You should immediately and privately consult with a lawyer in Utah to inquire about the state’s requirements to file for divorce. Many states have a waiting period for new residents before someone can file for divorce. Also, if your spouse has no connection to Utah, then an Utah court would not enjoy “personal jurisdiction” over him. Lastly, even if you move to another state, your husband can still file for divorce in Michigan and Utah will defer to Michigan regarding child custody-relayed issues unless at least six months have elapsed from the date you relocated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.