Mount Royal, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for New Jersey

Q: Can I still receive a ticket in this matter?

Hello, I was in a traffic accident approximately 1yr and 5 months ago where I rear ended a motorvehicle. My vehicle (Sedan) was totaled the other vehicle (SUV) had some had rear end damage. After flagging down an Officer they completed their investigations and towed my car. I received the tow paperwork and then was immediately told by the Sgt. to leave, I never received a ticket from them or in the mail, the car isn’t in my name so possibly it went to the RO (family member) but they did not tell me that happened (they would’ve). Is there any possibility I can still get a ticket? I wanted to request information on it via OPRA but didn’t want them to possibly review it then send me a ticket.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You can't still receive a ticket as you would be past the statute of limitations, but it sounds like you may already have had one. I would hire an attorney to research this and see if any tickets arose out of the situation to make sure you don't have a warrant for your arrest for not appearing for this ticket because it was mailed to the incorrect address. Warrants have a funny way of being executed (means you are arrested) at the worst times, like when your at an airport waiting to board a plane for example.

Stuart Nachbar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.