Kissimmee, FL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Dear sir or Madam, I had three months left on my lease and then I sublet my apartment without telling the office.

I unknowingly breached the contract. The new tenants paid the three months, but due to Covid they managed to stay 2 years after the lease without paying. We then went to court. The judge ruled in their favor. Now, the apartment is asking me to cover the rent owed. I am not able to pay it. The amount is $38000. Not being able to pay it will ruin my credit and may be my paycheck will be garnished. I am in a tough situation. Any suggestion would help. Thanks in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you are going to need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to see if you qualify to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and wipe out the debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.