Massillon, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: How do i buy a house in a dower state when i dont know where my husband is?

Separated from abusive husband 3 years, no contact , he has no permanent address, lives in his van, traveling state to state. I supposedly need him to sign off (he wont divorce me) on ME buying a house for ME.How can i do this? I dont want him to know where i am. When i sold my house 3 yrs ago, he signed deed after i paid him 2500. He would either demand i pay him, if i found him, OR refuse to sign off. How on earth so i get around this dower law???????? I need to buy quickly, so i have to somehow buy it on my own without him knowing where i live?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: When buying a house, both spouses must sign the mortgage. If there is no mortgage, then other spouse is not needed to buy the house. When selling a house, both spouses must sign the deed to convey to buyer. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to file for divorce, which can be done without knowing where other spouse is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.