Seattle, WA asked in Elder Law and Probate for Oregon

Q: Sister added her name to my father's bank accounts, stocks/bonds and vehicles before he passed. She claims it's hers now

She changed his will after he moved in with her. At the time he had Dementia and was on hospice. I didn't realize all this until getting the probate papers and she didn't list all his assets. When I questioned why his accounts were not listed she said her name was on it so it all belongs to her. I'm not sure when she was added to the accounts, but my father has had his bank account for over 40 years. He sold his house, classic cars, property and inherited a large sum that was all in the account. Is there anything I can do to get my share of what my father wanted me to have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I'm very sorry for your loss. You should consult with a probate litigator. You may be able to contest the Will. It may be more difficult reverse the titling of your father's bank accounts and/or vehicles but a probate litigator will be able to give you an estimate of your chances of success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.