Dallas, TX asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: My ex-husband and I have joint custody of our 16 year old son. He built a house an hour and 5 minutes away and wants son

To commute. This puts him on the road at 6 AM (he got his license in June so still not experienced driver)to get to school on time. He plays football and gets out of practice most days in between 6:30-7:00. I try to get along and work with him but this seems very unfair. He’s not discussed any of it with me. Just told my son he’d be commuting. My son doesn’t want to but is intimidated by his dad and won’t tell him what he feels about it. I don’t want to put a strain on any of our relationships but I do not think this is using good judgement to have him drive so far. He lives with me every other week and his dad on the alternating weeks. Just not sure what Louisiana rights are.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Does the judgment/order say address this? If it does, then is he in violation? If it does not, then did you have an attorney representing you in connection with the judgment/order-----if so, please contact said attorney and discuss----if not, or if you prefer not to reach out to said attorney, then please contact a custody attorney in your area to discuss----if you and your ex cannot work this out, then you might want to return to court and ask the Judge to decide.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.