Brandon, MS asked in Family Law and Probate for Alabama

Q: My father passed 10 years ago do I have ownership in his house?

My father passed 10 years ago. He was married at the time. I was recently contacted by my stepmom asking me to sign some papers on dads house. I just wanted to know if this means I have owner ship in the house. I thought because they were married then everything would go to her. There was not a Will and the house was just in my dads name. There is a total of 6 kids (4 are adopted). Just really wanting to see where I stand in this matter. My stepmother did not give anything of my dads to me or my brother and any of my dads grandkids. She did take care of the 4 that are adopted but nothing to his blood family. I have been told that his assets should of came to me and my brother, just never pushed it. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire an attorney to examine the Deed. Both MS and AL attorneys should be able to discern the apparent owner without a title search (assuming they are competent). You are probably an Heir At Law, and thus a Tenant In Common with the other Heirs. Do not sign anything unless you are paid sufficiently to convey your Title interest. If problems arise, consider hiring an AL attorney to file for a Partition Sale.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.