Kenner, LA asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for Louisiana

Q: How do I go by getting financial compensation for vet bills after unleashed dog attacked service dog in our yard

How would I approach this? Husky dog ran up into our yard on our porch attacked my mother service dog, who is a chiweenie on our porch. Dog has broken bones and peritoneal hernia issues pooping etc. Surgery is likely going to be needed for the hernia. All caught on neighbors security system showing dog was unleashed .

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should contact a personal injury lawyer (or a few of them) in your area to discuss the specifics of your matter and what has transpired thus far--I suggest a few because most will provide a free initial consultation. Also, you can contact the owner of the husky dog and and inquire of his insurance situation and make a claim against it but I think you should have a lawyer handle this for you. Also, I would consider seek criminal charges and/or calling animal control based on what you described.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.