Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I currently have my children every other weekend and one weekday every week and have joint custody, The father just died

Long story short my exhusband lived with his parents so they helped raised my 2 boys for the last 10yrs of their life They decided to withhold this info from me because they did not want my boys to come to my house permanently since their father is not alive Another family member thought it was not OK that I did not know and told me It is almost my time to pick up my children on the weekend and they have made it very clear to me that they are not returning my children to me My question is this even legal can grandparents withhold another parents child from them when the other parent is now deceased. I spoke to local police in his area and they confirm that even if the father is dead that the grandparents can withhold the children from me and then I have to go to Family Court to get my children back from the grandparents. This doesn’t make any sense to me how can people who aren’t the parents of a child withhold children from their parent and it’s legal How do I go about this issue help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The police are right: this is a family court matter that needs to be addressed there. If you do not have legal custody of the children, it's possible that with the father dead, the grandparents would become guardians. And even if you have shared legal custody, the best interest of the child factors will apply, and a court is not going to simply pull them from the primary home (and school) they've known for the last 10 years....especially if they don't want to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.