Youngstown, OH asked in Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: I own my house with no mortgage or house payment I put my girlfriend on deed & she got a loan on house & im not on loan.

I want her off deed & not sure how to go about it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You'll either have to negotiate a buy-out with her to pay her to sign a deed to convey the house back to you and payoff her loan, or you can file a partition action in court in which the court would determine how much you pay her to buy her out, or the court could order the house sold, and you and she would split the proceeds after paying off the loan. There also could be a tax issue for you. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.